Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Java Lounge

As end of semester exams quickly approach I found myself in need of stationary. In my opinion shopping for study supplies counts as studying, so I headed to Officeworks to begin a long next four weeks! Being the first official day of winter, it was fresh outside and I quickly found myself in need of a hot coffee. Conveniently enough it was also lunch time so I decided to stop in at Java Lounge in Paddington on my way home for a bite to eat with my Dad. Java Lounge is a staple of the Paddington cafe scene and offers a consistent all day breakfast and brunch/lunch menu 7 days a week. In the few years I have been eating at Java Lounge the menu has remained the same, offering simple but tasty cafe style meals.

cappuccino
Approaching Java Lounge just after 11am the cafe was the quietest I had ever seen it with only three or so other groups of customers. It was quite the contrast as I am used to seeing the cafe bursting at the seams! However, I definitely wasn't complaining as we were easily able to obtain a table inside away from the cold! Another benefit of having an early lunch meant we were quickly seated and coffee orders taken within the first 1-2 minutes! A quick look over the menu and we both had settled on  lunch options, mine being the Chicken Turkish with avocado and a mango chutney and Dad's being the toasted Leg Ham sandwich with cheese and tomato.

Chicken Turkish
Our skinny cappuccinos arrived at the table and it appeared the coffee was no longer the local Frisky Goat blend but rather Piazza Doro. Nevertheless it was extremely well made with a generous dusting of chocolate powder but perhaps not quite enough froth for a cappuccino. In the time it took me to finish my coffee, lunch was on the table. The Chicken Turkish was lightly toasted and accompanied by a side salad. The combination of the chicken, avocado and mango chutney was simple but delicious and the side salad featured a nice light tangy dressing which brightened up an otherwise average salad. The ham, tomato and cheese sandwich was well toasted and of generous size. A great delivery of a classic lunchtime sandwich.

Leg Ham Sandwich
After finishing lunch and heading to the register to pay I found myself standing in front of the deli/sweets cabinet.Straight away I noticed the banana bread staring back at me and it appeared to be the same that I fell in love with at the Java Lounge owner's other venture, Cockadoodle Cafe in Red Hill. As tempted as I was to get a slice to take home, I resisted and decided it would be a good reward once actually completing some study! Java Lounge is a great cafe with plenty of options for an all day breakfast or lunch and I will definitely keep coming back!


Java Lounge on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment