Sunday, September 11, 2011

Campos

I haven't been to Campos in about a year, so when a friend of mine who lives at Kangaroo Point invited me to Saturday breakfast at this Wandoo St. cafe I was quite excited. Campos are renowned for their coffee, edgy food and trendy decor and are a popular weekday and weekend hang out for cafe connoisseurs, evident by the constant stream of both dine in and takeaway customers. On this particularly windy Saturday morning the three of us were able to nab the last indoor table.

Menu
Latte














Once seated we were able to immediately place our drinks order before looking over the weekend menu. I ordered my favourite skinny cappuccino where as my friend went with a skinny caramel latte. No coffee for our third breakfaster as she doesn't like the taste - shame on her! Reading over the menu I was tempted by most of the options. Being around 10.30am I wasn't sure whether to order a breakfast option or to go with a more lunchy type meal. I have had the Campo's version of the big breakfast (the fry up), the muesli and the fruit toast before and loved all of them. One of my breakfast companions raved about the Cinnamon & Sugar potato doughnuts and we all liked the look of the chicken ciabatta and the chocolate ricotta pancakes. In the end my friend decided she felt more like lunch so went with the Chicken Ciabatta with avocado, bacon, tomato accompanied with chips & aoli. Recently, I have started to really enjoy porridge so I decided to branch out from my trusted muesli and fruit toast and go with the Vanilla & Custard Porridge with caramelized strawberries but I did get a small side of Greek yogurt to go with my porridge. Our third diner, who was visiting from Sydney,  had heard both of us rave about Campo's muesli so straight away her mind was made up she would be ordering the Toasted Macadamia muesli with rose water berries and Greek yogurt.


Skinny Cap

Porridge

 After a short wait our coffees arrived and were well and truly up to the high Campos standard. About 15 minutes later our food arrived. All three dishes were presented spectacularly, which made them even more inviting. The porridge was delicious, easily the best porridge I have eaten. The caramelized strawberries were soft and sweet and the porridge had nice flavours of vanilla with hints of cinnamon. The side of Greek yogurt I swirlled around the top as I enjoy the contrast of warm savoury porridge with cool, sweet yogurt. The porridge was such a massive serving I probably ate around half before being to full to continue! The chicken ciabatta met with a similar fate. It was a massive serving of fresh ciabatta bread, chicken, avocado and bacon and could only be half consumed before my friend reached bursting point! The muesli was probably the smallest breakfast and was just able to be finished by our remaining breakfast guest. She loved the rose water berries and yogurt and was full for most of the day from the meal!



Chicken Ciabatta

Muesli











Campos is a great cafe whether you are in the mood for a takeaway coffee or a long weekend breakfast. The menu has its trusted staples such as the fry up, muesli, fruit toast and eggs Benedict but also is ever changing and mixes things up based on produce and chef's creativity. They also offer delicious sweets such as honeycomb cheesecake, chocolate and beetroot mud cake, chocolate afghan biscuits and rocky road. We all really enjoyed our late Saturday breakfast and I definitely am not going to let another year go by before visiting again!

Campos on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment