Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Poppy's Basket Bakery Deli

Today I ventured to Southbank to catch up with two old friends for lunch. As I haven't ventured to this side of town in a long time I wasn't sure where was good to eat (apart from Max Brenner's). I didn't have any particular food craving at the time and as we were standing outside Grill'd and opposite Toscani's and Poppy's Basket Bakery Deli these were our three options. I'm not sure how we came to the decision but we ended up crossing the road and having lunch at Poppy's.


Chicken Roll

Skinny Cap











Poppy's Basket Bakery Deli has a small breakfast and lunch menu but majority of the lunch is either specials of the day, design your own sandwich/rolls or pick from options such as filos, quiches and salads on display in the deli cabinet. I decided I would design my own bread roll and went with chicken, avocado with full salad (lettuce, beetroot, carrot, cucumber, tomato) on a whole grain roll and of course my standard skinny cappuccino. This meal was really quite pricey coming in at just over $13 for a bread roll and small coffee. My lunch companions ordered the Italian roll which had tomato, salami, cheese with a latte and the daily special of bruschetta with toasted bread, olive oil and balsamic vinegar with an affogato.

Bruschetta

The service was very quick with our food appearing a few minutes before our coffees. My bread roll was really fresh but was quite small. The coffee was smooth and well made but had a little too much froth. The bruschetta and Italian roll met with no complaints. All in all, Poppy's Basket Bakery Deli is a nice place for a catch up over coffee and a morning or afternoon tea snack. For those a bit more serious about their breakfast and lunch cafes I would recommend looking elsewhere.


Poppy's Basket Bakery Deli on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. It new thing that I saw like Poppy's Basket Bakery Deli in ur blogs..
    Bakery Equipment

    ReplyDelete